Sunday, May 4, 2008

MOSS Search error

Scenario: Multiple web front ends with MOSS search service(both query and index) running on one of them.Everything is fine on the web server which also host the moss search service. Specifically, search queries work fine without any errors.

Issue: The other WFE's(not hosting the search service) throw errors when trying to sort the search results. I repeat, the WFE's throw errors only when trying to sort the results. Otherwise they work fine. I can still do search on these servers, but when trying to sort the search bombs out.

The error message thrown is:

The specified network name is no longer available. (Exception from HResult: 080070040

The event view shows the following message (or something simillar):
The last query machine was taken out of rotation. Propagation may be neccessary. The query machine will be retried in 15 seconds again.
The uls logs show the following message :


0x80070040000000006B49C6F8d:\office\source\search\ytrip\tripoli\common\crequest.cxx246

0x80070040000000006B49C6F8d:\office\source\search\ytrip\tripoli\common\crequest.cxx246 _LokRelegateMachine just relegated the last query machine! - File:d:\office\source\search\ytrip\tripoli\icommand\qpcache.cxx,Line:1393

0xc000020c000000006B49C73Ad:\office\source\search\ytrip\tripoli\common\crequest.cxx244 In CRootQuerySpec::Execute - caught exception: 0x80070040, translated to: 0x80070040 - File:d:\office\source\search\ytrip\tripoli\icommand\qryspec.cxx,Line:767
Log Query: More Information: The specified network name is no longer available.

The same code gets executed on all the WFE's but the error does not happen on the WFE running the query service. Assuming there is an issue with the firewall, how does the search work on these WFE's (when no sorting is done) ? I have been trying to fix this error for sometime now, but didn't get enough time to research more. I will keep looking for more information on this error and post a resolution if I find one.

4 comments:

Joshua said...

Find anything? This is happening to use as well.

Unknown said...

This is a TransactNamedPipe issue with IIS 7. The Hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946487/en-us will solve the problem. Install the hotfix on all machines in your farm

Prashanth Palakollu said...

Excellent Hafner !!! Thank you so much. This is really helpful. We have solved the problem which has been plaguing for a very long time now.

Thanks,
Prashanth

Unknown said...

hi there,

I have my MOSS site hosted at ASPHostPortal and initially, my Search function was not working as well.

Whatever entries I inserted inside was always being returned as "Not Found". I then contacted their Support Team and they told me to fix the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa registry entry. After all, my MOSS search function is working perfectly now.

With the support I received from them and the price I paid (only $10.00/month for MOSS site), I am very delighted. I do understand that most hosts out there can offer WSS3 plan for less than $10/month, but I am unable to find anhy host that charges only $10/month for MOSS service.

Hope this helps !

Post a Comment