Wednesday, January 23, 2008

AIM 6.5 on Vista with UAC turned off

Today, one of the users complained about wireless not working, the Network Sharing center taking ever to load and Remote Desktop not working. I checked the services and most of them were not started. I tried to start the Network List service but it was throwing an error:

"Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service"

I tried googling and the following came up:

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=2326150&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=0

The posts were explaining exactly what I was facing. AIM 6.5 was causing a problem, but the user had installed AIM long time back and the problem started occuring recently. I uninstalled AIM, but it had no effect. The following steps solved the issue:
  • After uninstalling AIM, I turned on UAC
  • Restarted the system
  • Installed AIM and it started to work
You have to install AIM again to get the wireless and the rest of the stuff to work. Just uninstalling AIM and turning on UAC will NOT fix the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment